"Today we are especially aware of our unity with Europe, our involvement in the joint creation of the future in a single European family," the Commissioner noted about Ukraine's European integration aspirations and Europe Day.
“Everyone, who is involved in the genocide of the Ukrainian people and continues to commit acts of linguocide against our citizens and the Ukrainian language, who has been to Bucha, Irpin’, Borodianka, and other cities and towns of Ukraine and has the blood of Ukrainians on his hands, must bear the most severe punishment”, Taras Kremin commented for the Pryamiy TV Channel.
As stated by the Commissioner in his Annual public report on the state of compliance with the language law in 2021, the russian language predominates in advertisements on Ukrainian job search sites.
Welcoming the historic decision to award Ukrainian journalists the Pulitzer Prize, Taras Kremin said they were approaching our victory by holding a united information front.
“Local authorities must bring their rules for the improvement of residents’ settlements in line with Articles 28 and 32 of the Law of Ukraine “On Ensuring the Functioning of Ukrainian as the State Language” which stipulate that information on signs, plaques, and other advertising media must be submitted by the state language with the possibility of duplication in other languages, " the Commissioner noted.
The Commissioner spoke about the shutdown of the Ukrainian TV channels and radio stations by the russian federation in the occupied territories and their replacement by russian media.
The Commissioner took part in the All-Ukrainian Scientific Conference "Creative Horizons of Ivan Chendei" (devoted to the 100th anniversary of the writer's birth).
In the communities of the Poltava region, the work on renaming the toponymic objects is carried out taking into account the recommendations of the Commissioner.
The Commissioner held the online meeting with the Board of Directors of regional institutes of postgraduate pedagogical education. The parties discussed the organization of language courses for both internally displaced persons and those wishing to take the state language proficiency test.
It is necessary to eradicate the Soviet way of thinking from the minds of Ukrainians. The Commissioner stated for the Priamiy TV Channel.
Taras Kremin discussed with Tetyana Kaganovska, rector of V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University the issue of compliance with language legislation in the educational process.
The Commissioner asks to report on acts of linguocide of the Ukrainian language (any actions of the occupiers or their collaborators aimed at discrimination or repressions against Ukrainians based on language, forced expulsion of the Ukrainian language from public space and public use, replacing it with Russian)
Today, for the first time since independence and perhaps for centuries, the Ukrainian language has such a high level of trust and of communication. It is a real revival of the Ukrainian language as the state language," Taras Kremin commented for Channel 5.
About language in Ukraine and the world:
- russia's strategic defeat is already obvious to everyone in the world, russia simply lacks the courage to admit it so far - addressed by the President of Ukraine V. Zelenskyy.
- The Lithuanian Seimas unanimously recognized russia's actions in Ukraine as genocide and Russia as a terrorist state.
- Following the results of the conference of the European Network of Ombudsmen in Strasbourg, the Declaration on Ukraine was adopted. Fellow ombudsmen will promote European countries' compliance with their international obligations, including the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the Geneva Convention, the International Convention on the Rights of the Child, and the European Convention on Human Rights. It was announced by the Verkhovna Rada Commissioner for Human Rights Lyudmyla Denisova.
- Russian occupiers in Ukraine burn books in Ukrainian. It was stated by the Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada Committee on Humanitarian and Information Policy Mykyta Poturaev. “We have dozens of testimonies that all literature in the Ukrainian language is being deliberately destroyed. While they are there, they destroy everything: textbooks, children's books, fiction and nonfiction. If they see the Ukrainian language and Ukrainian letters, they do the same the Nazis behaved, "- said Poturaev.
- Ukraine wins Eurovision. The Kalush Orchestra with the song Stefania received 192 points from the jury and 439 points from the audience.
- De-russification of Kyiv is about to start: renaming up to 500 streets and several metro stations, demolishing 60 monuments and plaques.
- In Kharkiv, the Moscow district and three streets, which names are also related to russia, were renamed.
- In Kropyvnytskyi, councilors unanimously renamed more than 20 streets whose names were associated with russia or the communist regime. More than a hundred city toponyms are in the process of being renamed.
- Boryslav Mayor Ihor Yavorsky called on community members to serve new residents exclusively in Ukrainian. First of all, it concerns local government officials, employees of the Department of Social Protection as well as employees of food establishments, and those who provide humanitarian aid.
- 80% of Ukrainian citizens called Ukrainian their native language. This indicator shows a steady upward trend.
- The two most powerful cable networks of the Republic of Armenia, Fnet and Arpinet, have included the Ukrainian TV channel RADA TV in their packages and they broadcast it on the territory of the country.
- Courses in Ukrainian were opened for Ukrainian children in Germany.
- Ukrainian language is used more and more often in the Polish information space. This is the position of journalists from Polska Agencja Prasowa who contribute to the awareness of millions of refugees from Ukraine.
- Microsoft announces global premiere of Ukrainian language support for automatic speech recognition in Reading Progress.
- The Museum Siam has opened the exhibition "Ukraine" and has an audio guide in Ukrainian.
- Communicating in Ukrainian has become a weapon of resistance against the russian invasion, prompting many russian speaking citizens of Ukraine to stop using their native language in public.
- MPK Wrocław is the first carrier in Poland to introduce Ukrainian-language tram management software.
- The Polish Senate introduced a legislative initiative to amend the law on assistance to citizens of Ukraine. It will allow, among other things, to create units and departments of preschool education, where teaching in Ukrainian would be conducted according to the Ukrainian educational program.
- The City Art Gallery in Łódz of Poland prepared the art and educational project “Dictionary of Ukrainianisms. Interpretations of Polish and Ukrainian illustrators”, the narrative of which is based on Ukrainianisms, i.e. on the simultaneous functioning of words in Polish and Ukrainian.
- Since the end of February 2022, the Duolingo language platform has recorded a 485% increase in interest in learning the Ukrainian language.