In accordance with Part 5 of Article 49 of the Law of Ukraine “On Ensuring the Functioning of Ukrainian as the State Language” the Commissioner submitted an annual public report on its activities and compliance with the Law.
Taras Kremin and the Ukrainian Library Association have agreed to expand the network of free courses for mastering the state language.
The Transcarpathian Institute of Postgraduate Pedagogical Education hosted a working meeting of scholars of the institution with the State Language Protection Commissioner.
During the working visit to Transcarpathia Taras Kremin inspected three locations to test the level of proficiency in the state language which were ready to accept 5 applicants per session.
russian criminals are deliberately pursuing a policy of linguocide at the temporarily occupied territories — they persecute Ukrainians on the basis of language, try to restore the educational process in schools under Russian education law, force the use of the occupiers' language in public sphere and they replace Ukrainian names with russian ones. This was stated by Taras Kremin commenting on the preparation of the occupiers for a TV show for their citizens to celebrate the "victory" on May 9.
About language in Ukraine and the world:
• Ukraine is defending itself from the onslaught of tyranny and this struggle for freedom is comprehensible in every corner of the globe, - addressed by President Volodymyr Zelenskyy.
• President Volodymyr Zelensky signed the law “On De-Sovietization of the Legislation of Ukraine”. The law provides for "cleansing from Sovietness" of almost 1,200 acts of public authorities. This was announced by the Speaker of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine Ruslan Stefanchuk.
• The rashists use the temporarily occupied territory of Crimea as a platform for the propaganda machine. The occupiers decided to send about one and a half thousand russian propaganda books from the territory of the peninsula to the temporarily occupied territory of Kherson and Zaporizhia regions. The purpose of such actions is to distort the history of Ukraine and its leaders. Such methods were characteristic of Soviet usurpers who destroyed the history of Ukraine and the identity of the Ukrainian people and imposed their ideology. This was announced by the Verkhovna Rada Commissioner for Human Rights Lyudmyla Denisova.
• "Ukraine is summing up damages, caused by the army of the russian federation, because all the theaters, museums, schools, philharmonics or libraries, destroyed by the aggressor country, must be rebuilt at its expense. This was stated by Oleksiy Dniprov, Deputy Head of the Office of the President of Ukraine. He also said that the State Scientific Institution “Institute of Educational Content Modernisation” of the Ministry of Education and Science has made available 1,288 online textbooks and manuals for students and teachers. The Minor Academy of Sciences of Ukraine has established “Lectures on the Future”, a platform for dialogue between Ukrainian youth and Nobel laureates and scholars from around the world.
• EFNIL is mentioned in the decision of the European Council of Ministers of culture and media as a partner organization that will strengthen multilingualism and language technologies in the EU.
• The Committee on Education, Science and Innovation of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine has published a selection of useful resources for students including those who were temporarily outside Ukraine.
• The Ministry of Culture and Information Policy of Ukraine works on removing russian propaganda literature from Ukrainian library collections to replace it with high-quality Ukrainian-language literature and books of Ukrainian publishers. This will be done on the basis of relevant methodological recommendations developed and approved by the Council for Development of Librarian Activity of the Ministry.
• The Ministry of Education and Science: The European Center for Modern Languages of the Council of Europe has set up a website to support the language integration of immigrants from Ukraine.
• Over the last decade the preference for the Ukrainian language has increased in Ukraine while the preference for russian has decreased. Sociologists suggest that russia's large-scale invasion of Ukraine on February 24, 2022 will only exacerbate the trends in the language preferences of citizens observed in previous years.
• Collegium Civitas of Warsaw starts teaching in Ukrainian for displaced persons.
• The Finnish Broadcasting Company is launching news in Ukrainian to help Ukrainian refugees arriving in the country.
• Ukrainian Wikipedia has set up a new record - 15th place in the world in popularity.
• About 10,000 books of Russian pre-revolutionary and Soviet fiction were confiscated from the Khmelnytsky Regional Universal Scientific Library.
• In Uzhgorod it’s been agreed to rename 6 streets as a part of the process of changing toponyms associated with russia. Around fifty streets more are in line.
• Ukrainian books for Polish children are being collected in Khmelnytsky region.
• A city of Pryluky has been working on de-russification of streets and memorable architectural objects for the second week in a row. On May 4 the second meeting of the specialized working group analyzed the historical background for more than 35 streets with names associated with Soviet ideology or individual figures.
• More than 140 streets are expected to be renamed in Chernihiv.
• 34 streets and alleys were renamed as a part of de-russification in Brovary of the Kyiv region.
• Hryhoriy Skovoroda Literary Memorial Museum was ruined in the village of Skovorodynivka as a result of bombs attack. The restoration work had just been completed on the eve of the war and the museum was preparing to celebrate the three-hundredth anniversary of the outstanding philosopher.
• A new language scandal broke out in Kharkiv. Student of the V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University faced bullying and discrimination because of her request to give lectures in Ukrainian in accordance with Ukrainian law.
• Ukrainian language is one of the main enemies of the russian occupiers in Ukraine. The russians are actively trying to eradicate everything Ukrainian. Another symbol of the indomitable resistance of Ukrainians was fixed in Mariupol.