The Commissioner commented on the third anniversary of the adoption of the fateful Law of Ukraine "On Ensuring the Functioning of Ukrainian as the State Language."
Further attempts by the occupiers to resume the educational process in general secondary education institutions in the occupied territories according to the russian educational law is a continuation of putin's colonial policy regarding the citizens of Ukraine. Taras Kremin said this commenting on the information that in Melitopol’ the occupiers were trying to resume the educational process and they announced the extension of the school year until June 7.
The Commissioner proves in court that the language of the educational process is Ukrainian. The Fifth Administrative Court of Appeal of Odessa did not satisfy the appeal to the Commissioner in the case of the municipal institution “Training and educational complex “School of humanitarian work” of the Kherson Regional Council on declaring illegal and revoking an individual act on the results of control over the use of the state language.
The Commissioner addressed the participants of the international scientific and practical conference "Universe, Mountains and Poet. To the 80th anniversary of the birth of the writer and public person Petro Mykolayovych Skunets" initiated by the Transcarpathian Institute of Postgraduate Pedagogical Education to implement a memorandum of cooperation on the current state of development of the Ukrainian language in the context of decolonization processes. By a joint decision, the local authorities were advised to name the objects of toponymy of the region after the outstanding Ukrainian scientists, writers and defenders of Ukraine.
The Commissioner welcomes the historic land lease for Ukraine approved by the United States. "The step we have been waiting for in order to record increasing of the fighting capacity of our people and further destroying of the greatest devil since the days of Hitler's Nazism," Taras Kremin said.
The Commissioner called on the participants of the All-Ukrainian scientific and practical conference "Ukrainian dimension in modern science: humanitarian aspect", organized by Mykolayiv National Agrarian University, to actively participate in the creation of language courses and speaking clubs among residents of southern Ukraine.
Taras Kremin took part in the meeting of the Academic Council of the Admiral Makarov National University of Shipbuilding and called on to join the study of new terms and concepts related to shipbuilding, to propose to the National Commission on the Standards of the State Language to develop maritime terminology and to ask the local authorities on naming the objects of toponymy of the region and Ukraine after the outstanding defenders of the Navy of the Armed Forces of Ukraine - graduates of the NUS.
The Commissioner addressed the educators of Ukraine at the conference “Education in communities during martial law. Ukrainian language as a unifying component of the people of Ukraine” organized with the assistance of the Swedish-Ukrainian project “Support to decentralization in Ukraine”. The assistance to internally displaced persons and their integration into the educational process and living space of the community were among the key theses of the event.
For the first time since its independence, Ukraine has been able not only to organize itself but also to show the world and itself, first of all, that we can not only defend ourselves, not only defend values but also win decisive battles. This was stated in a comment to the TV channel "Dom" by the State Language Protection Commissioner of Ukraine Taras Kremin.
About language in Ukraine and the world:
• President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy met with UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres, who arrived in Kyiv. During the conversation the parties touched upon the issue of establishing a special international tribunal for russia's crimes. "For its part, the UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission must continue to document all crimes committed by the Russian Federation and the russian military," the President is convinced.
• The Canadian Parliament has recognized russia's crimes in Ukraine as genocide.
• "It's a shame. Recognizing Russia's actions in Ukraine as genocide will have not only legal but also moral consequences," said Norman Naimark, a professor at Stanford University and a leading researcher on genocide and the history of Eastern Europe and Russia and author of the book “Stalin's Genocides” which, in particular, examines the Holodomor and other crimes of the Stalinist regime against Ukrainians and "Genocide: World History".
• Examinations to determine the level of proficiency for the state language started in 30 authorized institutions.
• In one of the occupied communities of Zaporizhia, by threats the rassiasts are forcing teachers to resume their studies on May 2 according to the Russian program. This was announced by the Commissioner for Human Rights of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine Lyudmila Denisova.
• Deputy Minister of Education and Science Vira Rogova discussed with her Italian counterpart arranging of the assemblies of passing the National multidisciplinary testing, trainings for refugees and the establishment of a bilateral working group.
• The Polish charitable foundation Fundacja Powszechnego Czytania has published 88,000 books for Ukrainian refugee children.
• From now on, the Swiss application "20 Minuten" is also available in Ukrainian.
• Easter liturgies in Ukrainian language were held in two churches in Sweden in the presence of Princess Sofia of Sweden. Similar services took place in other countries.
• The Danish Parliament has supported an agreement under which Ukrainian refugee children would be studied at schools in Ukrainian and English.
• The Paramount shared access to content from Nickelodeon and Nick Jr. in Ukrainian throughout Europe.
• In Mariupol’, which Russian occupation forces have been trying to seize for two months, there’re only two schools are at work. The children are forced to write on notebooks "Rostov region" there. The adviser to the mayor of the city Petro Andryushchenko reported about it.
• How the Soviet politicians were changing the Ukrainian language. Article by linguist Larysa Masenko.
• The Kyiv City Council has launched a process of de-Russification in the capital and simplified the procedure for renaming city facilities related to Russia and its allies.
• The russian troops have already damaged or destroyed more than 15 libraries in Ukraine according to Oleksandr Tkachenko, Minister for Culture and Information Policy of Ukraine.
• On April 28 in Genichesk, the occupiers forcibly gathered the directors of the community’s schools and issued an ultimatum to submit lists of teachers who were ready to continue working in accordance with the Russian program from September 1. Those teachers, who agree, will be sent to the Crimea for retraining in the summer. This was announced by Yuri Sobolevsky, First Deputy Chairman - Chief of Staff of the Kherson Regional Council.
• Forward of Benfica and the national team of Ukraine Roman Yaremchuk expressed his opinion on the language issue. “I believe that there should be only one language in Ukraine - Ukrainian. This is my vision which I have always adhered to. My opinion is that our children should learn only Ukrainian and if you want to speak Russian - please go talking”. It's your choice. In Ukraine, no one is humiliated for speaking in Russian and it has never been."
• Lutsk decided to rename five streets in the process of de-communization. The corresponding decision was made by deputies during the session of the City Council on April 27.
• In Vinnytsia, 6 streets and a park were "de-Russified", and a monument to Maksim Gorky was dismantled.
• Deputies of the Khmelnytsky City Council voted for renaming 45 streets in the regional center. Khmelnytsky Mayor Oleksandr Simchyshyn announced this on Facebook.
• In Gadyach of the Poltava region, 32 streets and alleys were renamed as well as the square which bore communist names.
• In the Mukachevo City Territorial Community, 79 streets were renamed after Soviet / Russian activists.
• Weekly updated information on free courses, talk clubs, Internet resources for mastering and improving the level of Ukrainian language proficiency can be found on the Commissioner's website.
• The Literature House Wroclaw is raising funds for the implementation of the project “Books from Home” for Ukrainian refugee children to distribute of the Ukrainian literature free of charge.